- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red onion
- 2 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 cup sweet green peas
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils, rinsed (brown or red lentils may also be used)
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of cauliflower, cut
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 bell peppers chopped (different colors makes the dish beautiful)
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 100-200 g bacon cut in small pieces (1 package)
Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat. Fry the bacon bits in the pot. Add in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes then add in the, tomatoes, bell peppers. Add the lentils and the rest of the ingredients.
Add in the vegetable stock, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-35 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. If there’s any excess liquid drain it.
Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder and stir together.
Make sure your eggs are really fresh. Fresh eggs have a thicker white near the yolk that will better hold a round shape as it cooks.
Crack your egg into a bowl or onto a saucer, this makes it easier to slide into the pan. If there is any very runny white surrounding the thicker white then tip this away.
Add a drop of vinegar (you can add this to the water in the pan if you prefer).
Bring a pan of water filled at least 5 cm deep to a simmer. Don’t add any salt as this may break up the egg white.
Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
Slowly tip the egg into the centre. Make sure the heat is low enough not to throw the egg around – there should only be small bubbles rising.
Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the white is set.
Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain it on kitchen paper. If you need to cook more than one poached egg, keep it at the right temperature in warm water, but make sure the water isn’t hot enough to overcook the egg.