Today is Chinese and Vietnamese New Year 12/02/2021 so I post my favorite dish with a big Happy New Years greeting!
I love egg rolls and spring rolls. Since I started making them myself I really think mine are great and I just love to make them. It is real favorite. I have made egg rolls and springrolls with egg roll wraps and also with rice paper and fried. Rice paper and Egg roll wraps can be bought in Asien Markets however you can also make them yourself. Here is a favorite filling of mine. These are made with bought wraps. I have also made my own. However the recipe for that will wait a bit.
- 450 g or 1 lb ground pork or 450 g or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large carrots, shredded (or 3 medium carrots)
- 225 g or 1/2 lb raw shrimp, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4-5 Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (1/2 cube)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup glass noodles, soaked in water and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 egg, separated
- 50 small egg roll wraps
- oil (for deep frying)
- Actually you can mix whatever you like in the filling for the springrolls, just try!
1. Mix together all ingredients except the egg white.
2. Use a fork and spoon to place mixture on wrappers.
3. Use the fork to form the mixture into roll shape on the wrapper.
4. Roll up wrapper.
5. Use egg white to seal edges.
6. May be frozen at this point. Use wax paper to separate layers.
7. Remove desired number of spring rolls and fry until golden brown (do not thaw).
Serve with green sallad leaves and bean sprouts and the Nuoc Cham dipping sauce. Roll the egg roll in the leaves and put the bean sprouts between the roll and the leaves before rolling. Than dip in the Nuoc Cham sauce and enjoy. Bean sprouts can even be put in the filling.
Vietnamese Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
1 cup water
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
2 small fresh chili peppers
1 Boil water with vinegar and sugar; allow it to cool.
2 Combine garlic, peppers, and add mixture.
3 Stir in the fish sauce.