This Indian-style vegetable rosti is a nutritious breakfast dish. For me I would eat it for lunch and dinner as well.
For the batter:
- 2 cups rice, soaked in water for 4 to 5 hours
- 200 ml (or as needed) water
- 1 potato, boiled, peeled, and mashed
- 1/2 cup dahi (yoghurt)
For the vegetables and spices:
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 8-10 kadi patta (curry leaves), chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped hara dhania (cilantro)
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium shimla mirch (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Vegetable oil, as required
Drain out the water and grind the soaked rice until fine. The consistency should be like dosa batter. I used 200 ml of water to grind the rice.
Add the mashed potato and dahi and blend again. Adjust the consistency so that it is like dosa batter. Transfer this to a large mixing bowl.
Add in the spices and veggies as well as the baking soda. Mix until well combined.
Keep a medium-sized non-stick pan on medium heat. Add 1 tsp oil, spread it and let it heat up. Stir the batter a few times, put 2 ladles in the pan, and spread it in the pan. Cover with a lid and let it cook for about 4 minutes on medium-high heat.
Remove the lid. If the underside is cooked spread a little oil on top and flip. Cover with a lid and cook this side for about 3 minutes.
Remove to a plate when done and prepare the rest similarly.
Serve with coconut chutney.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3 green chilli
- small ball sized tamarind
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼-½ cup water
- 2 tsp oil2
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 2 dried kashmiri red chilli
- few curry leaves
Firstly, in a blender take 1 cup coconut, 3 green chilli, small ball sized tamarind and ½ tsp salt. Add in ¼-½ cup water as required depending on variety of coconut used. Blend to smooth paste adding more water if required.
Now prepare the tempering by heating 2 tsp oil, add in 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, 2 dried red chilli and few curry leaves. Allow to splutter. Finally, pour the tempering over the coconut chutney and serve with the Vegetable rostis.